FAQ: Tips to Improve SPOT Response Rates
How can I improve SPOT response rates for my course?
There are several things you can do as an instructor to improve response rates for your course:
Communicate with your students about SPOT.
- Direct all students to the login page (eval.scholar.vt.edu). After logging in, they will see a link to the SPOT survey for each of their classes.
- Share examples of how you have modified class content or instruction based on past student feedback.
- Teach students what it means to provide constructive feedback (e.g., keep your comments narrowly focused and include suggestions for improvement).
- Impress upon students that practicing constructive feedback is part of professional development, and it is a learned skill that will show its value long after graduation.
Provide class time for SPOT.
- Ask students to bring their laptops to class and offer time for them to complete the survey.
- No identifying information is associated with responses when they are shared with instructors. Knowing this may help students to be more comfortable with responding.